Saturday, January 2, 2016

Reflections... Not Resolutions



I am not a 'resolutions' kind of gal.  I have tried them, and then have forgotten them by January 20th.  Lose 15 pounds?  Sounds great.  Give more to charities... That is noble.  But, instead, I do this thing with a lot of my passwords on email, online accounts, etc..., where I choose a 'word of the year', if you will, to live by.

One year, I changed my password to journey2013.  I was pregnant, and in for major life changes.  Last year, it was heal2015.  My mom was in need of healing, and my own body was also in need of remedy from some autoimmune stuff.  By changing my computer passwords, I intentionally type daily or a few times daily the very idea that I need to focus on, or pray for.  It is an automatic reminder to remain steadfast in my faith on whatever is happening in my life.

As I reflect for my 2016 "word".... Only one comes to mind.



Sacred.   

What a sentimental, beautiful idea, right? There is not much room for sanctity in our world today.  All things held dear are either for "old souls" or so completely exploited by our society/ media that they lose their luster.  There have been literally hundreds of times that I think of snapping a photo of something that has happened here at home to immediately upload onto Facebook.  But the reality is, it makes it a little less sacred to me that way.  I decide to keep it for myself and put in an album (although, those snapshots tend to hang around way too long on my iPad).  

Sacred.  What is that to me, exactly? For sure, my little immediate family here on Hastings Road.  My thoughts, and prayers, and songs in the car.  My memories in-the-making with nephews and a niece.  My parents.  My weekends.  Sipping coffee.  Walks.  Making cheesecakes.  Lunch with the girls.  My faith and my actions.  Sacred doesn't mean grand or expensive... It just has to be worthwhile.

For 2016, the plan is to keep sacred things sacred... Eggs and bacon for a Saturday brunch may not sound sentimentally heavy, but I think I will tuck those moments into my heart and hold them a bit closer this year.  Let's face it.  Life is busy and complicated.  My marriage looks forward to and relies on moments of sincerity and peace.  I also know my baby boy's growth depends on sacred moments at the beach or park or playing in the snow or reading on my lap.  Sanctity is the stuff of life.  "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." James 1:7

I hope I can encourage you to think of a new word to dwell upon this new year.  Make it a password or something you must see or write every day.  It will make an impression.  It will prompt prayer and intentions, and eventually, results.

"Summing it all up, friends, I’d say you’ll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies." Philippians 4:8

No comments:

Post a Comment