Monday, June 1, 2015

"Sexy" and other 4- Letter Words



One of my sweet friends has a daughter in kindergarten.  She was appalled to learn that her daughter used the word 'sexy' when passing a boy in the hall.  As mortified (& angered & confused, etc...) as ever, she asked me what I thought.

The very first thing that popped into my head was not about punishment, nor blaming her daughter (although later we did discuss that she needed to  give some consequence).  I honestly had to tell her first that she should think about the world we live in and what those precious kindergarten ears have heard in the past 6 years.  

Now, "sexy" is not the worst word, I know... it is rather mainstream these days.  It would be quite simple to turn on the radio and hear that term in most genres.  How about television? That's a garbage heap for the ears AND eyes.  More 4-letter words are being used before prime time on tv shows than ever before.  In fact, more EVERYTHING is seemingly allowed now.  What my husband and I would have regularly watched before our son was born is now being replaced by Mickey Mouse or Frosty the Snowman (for the 400th time).  That is fine by me.  I sound like a prude.  That is fine by me as well.

Why?  Tim and I need to guard our hearts and minds as well as Colby's.  He will be exposed to it soon enough.  What we allow into our home is what we also allow to take root in our lives.  We control that. 100%.  

Good.Golly.  Must we hear about casual sex, gender changes, violence, and everything of the like on a daily basis?  Proverbs, chapter 4, verse 23 says, "Above all else guard your heart, because from it flow the springs of life."  That phrase is powerful because of its first 3 words... "Above ALL else."  To me, that means, nothing is more important than guarding your heart.  


If I constantly expose myself and my children to everything happening in the Kardashian family, we will start to see that as the norm.  If my tv, radio, or reading habits conflict at all with what God would have for me, then I need to take the high road and avoid things that would cause me to see my life as a 'free for all.'  Self control, true compassion, forgiveness, wisdom...these are truths.  These are the qualities born out of a life lived in Christ.  

Be vigilant in seeking truth, not what the world feeds us through media.  It affects you and your family.  You cannot unsee nor unhear ideas once they have been presented to you.  Don't see it, read it, or listen to it just because it is #1 on somebody's list.

So, nope.  Sexy isn't the absolute worst word ever.  My friend's daughter will hear more, I am sure.  You will too. But remember, YOU control everything that comes across to you.  YOU choose what you expose your home to.   "Above ALL else."

No comments:

Post a Comment