Monday, June 15, 2015

The Empty Corner



I have been scheming for a while now about how soon to take the rocking glider out of my son's room.  He has hit his 2nd birthday, and yes, we still use the glider daily, but for a brief time (tops: 4 minutes) before bed only. 

It is something that's been part of his bedtime routine since, well, ever.  I have to admit, I am looking forward to just laying him down after his bath, and cutting that cord, since he really insists upon it, with ONLY me.  But, before judging me, (if you haven't already one way or another), the glider has got to go, because before I know it, he will be 13 and I will be rocking him still.

So I did it.  Rather, Colby and I took out the chair today.  In its place for just a few moments was the empty corner.  I did not anticipate my sadness over this one move.  In fact last night as I was holding him there In the dark, I became abruptly aware that this was IT.  I must have kissed him a dozen times. As excited as I seemed to be about the next stage of freedom for both of us, I was equally sorrowed.

Our (my) daily outlook should be that of the psalmist when he said, "This is the day that The Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it."  So, I will rejoice in the fact that my little boy is growing into a big boy, BUT...

I am also looking at this instance as "don't be ready for things to be over too soon."  Our world feeds us that impulse of "I can't wait until          (fill in your blank.)  From wishing for 5:00, to waiting for Saturday, to anticipating vacations, we have got it all wrong.  There are plenty of songs I cringe at from the 80's but the message of Loverboy's "Everybody's Working for the Weekend" is the Worst. Anthem. Ever.  

Really? We work and labor for 5 miserable days just to be happy for 2?  

So, this glider situation has gotten me to promise myself to stop saying, "I can't wait."  Because, you know what?  I can.  I can wait for the next big thing, and enjoy all the little ones until then.  God has intended for us to go through seasons, not experience it all at once.  We have today to live and tomorrow will come.  After all, "Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes." (James 4:14). It is so true.  Our short life here on Earth happens quickly enough without us wishing it away.  


P.S.-  We both missed the glider tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment